Mansfield Youth Soccer – 30 years of providing soccer opportunites to youth of Mansfield
May 31, 2013 • News and Updates
Provide the youth of Mansfield, MA an opportunity to play soccer and be part of a team in an
enjoyable, fair and safe environment focused on development of youth players. MYS strives to
provide opportunities for children to develop basic and advanced soccer skills, to learn the value of team work, learn to have fun while
being active and to build personal confidences. MYS creates an atmosphere where the children’s
enthusiasm & excitement for soccer serve as a catalyst for its future growth.
The MYS program is run successfully by volunteers who unconditionally commit their time and
talents; there are no paid positions on the board of directors.
The MYS program was founded in the 1983 and started playing on fields around the schools and
Memorial Park. The years since, MYS have expanded considerably by offering the sport of soccer
to the growing youth population in Mansfield. This led to a vision to build a recreation complex at
Plymouth Street. The development of the complex was achieved by a partnership with the town
of Mansfield and MYS. Towards the partnership MYS donated a matching gift of $94,000 to
develop the back and front fields. That major field development project was completed in late
2000. FOG was the third phase completed in Fall of 2010.
30th anniversary (2013 !!)
• ~ 1,100 players 850 families
• > 400 adult volunteers
• ~ 100 youth and adult referees.
• Program/Player Development
•2005 – Adopted USYS recommended smaller game sizes; introduced 8 v 8 in travel
•2007 – Adopted USYS recommended micro-dual sided for it’s youngest members
• Providing more individual involvement, decisions, and development
•2011 – Winter, MYS introduces Futsal as a winter development program.
• 2001 – First annual Columbus Day Cup Tourney
• 10 Years later, 2011
• 126 teams (60% non-Mansfield!)
• Thousands of visitors during weekend to Complex and Greater Mansfield
• Spring 2007 – FIELDS OF GREEN Campaign kick-off to FUND, renovate & improve complex
• Fall of 2010 – Renovations & Turf Completed !
MYS actively gives back to the community by:
• Offering player fee assistance
• Funding (2) Annual high school scholarships
• Coordinating funding and enforcing the safety regulations at the complex
• Participating in the Mansfield Clean up event
• Donating to community Relay for Life event
• Lending equipment to community non-profit events
• Participating in community events such as downtown parade and fun night
• Donating to the food pantry
• Donating gently used soccer equipment to charitable organizations Special Olympics and US
soccer passback program
• Offering families the ability to volunteer together and spend quality time together
• Offering members a chance to stay involved by participating in positive community activities
• Being a vehicle for coaches and youth peers to seek out and volunteer for the Special
MYS more than just soccer:
Following the research of the Active Living Research Organization, an organization which
strives to identify environmental factors and policies that influence physical activity, especially
Their studies report that:
• Regular physical activity enhances academic performance,
• Participation in regular physical activity; The habits they establish in childhood carry over to adulthood
• Regular physical activity has a positive impact on behavior and healthy
lifestyles in youth
• Involvement in positive activities encourages healthy development and help
children make positive choices and avoid high-risk behaviors .
The environment that our youth live in can make it challenging to be physically active,
MYS is striving to make “being active” easier and more readily available.